Sunday, December 6, 2009

Goodbye Christmas Market...and daily dose of mulled wine, belgian waffles, devon fudge (damn, why was that sweet stall so close by)

We've just finished our last day in our alpine chalet - we had a fantastic time, although we probably sampled too much of the refreshments on offer.  Thankfully I found the hot, spiced apple juice so I didn't always have to warm up with mulled wine.  If you're planning a visit to the Market over the next couple of weeks, I did manage to work out that the gluhwein was the best out of the three mulled wines on offer (we were sure there was a swig or two of brandy in that one) and that the belgian waffles with hot chocolate sauce were the breakfast food to start your 8 hour stint on.  I liked to think that the cream I added to mine was kind of equivalent to the milk I would put on my cereal.

Our fabulous little chalet.



Note the warm glow in the top left of the photo - we purchased three of these lights on the first day, concerned that our chalet wasn't light enough.  The lights were very strong wattage and not only lit our jewellery up rather nicely but also half of the cathedral behind us.  A concerned neighbour noted 'I didn't realise you could use outdoor lights inside'  hmmmm, neither did we -hadn't quite clocked that we had purchased football stadium lights, give quite a nice glow though don't you think.

Oh, so whilst I'm on the subject of the Christmas Market, I would like to mention some of the lovely stallholders we met - potters, knitters, glass fusers, people who sew really cute things - here are some of their wares....







Jug and bowl by Caroline Green



Pretty ceramic spoons by Penny Spooner (!) She does make other things apart from spoons too - although at the time of writing both their shops are looking a little bare - Caroline assured me she would be uploading some more of her lovely white ceramics shortly.

Well, actually I should have said here are some of the wares by the potters since no-one else seems to have a website at the moment- that's fine though, I'll take photos of some of the things I bought and show them off here soon....